To raise and normalize standards for space professionals, we must have a way to validate someone’s knowledge, skills, and experience as a practitioner in the space domain. The Space Force Association’s Space Certifications Program verifies credentials and establishes your credibility in a rapidly growing, exciting, and diverse field. Our certifications provide clients and partners with the confidence that you meet stringent professional standards. They also show you’re on top of your field through continuous education, training, experiential learning, and interaction to expand your expertise and remain relevant in a highly competitive market.
Space Professional 2 is a next level certification for those with up to 5 years of space domain experience. These professionals demonstrate their knowledge, understanding, and application as a Space Professional 1 as well as:
- The Space Mission Design Process
- Satellite Communications
- Remote Sensing
- Position, Navigation, and Timing Systems
The Space Professional Level 2 certification consists of 64 hours of education provided through our online Space 200 – Space Systems Design Course. (CSP-1 status, through successful completion of SP100 or Test Out Option, is a Prerequisite for this course). This certification is based on the core competencies outlined here:
The Two Paths to Reaching Space Professional Level 2 Certification
- This is an 8-week online course hosted on the Canvas Learning Management System (LMS) using asynchronous and synchronous elements.
- 6 hours of student assignment and activities
- 2 hours of live-virtual instruction (Microsoft Teams) with a certified Space professional instructor
- Two 30-minute Q&A sessions with instructors (before and after each synchronous session)
- Students complete a challenging Capstone project with a Senior Space Professional designed to test student application of knowledge.
Credit for Existing Experience – Test
- Your existing experience can help you earn Space Professional Level II Certification
- If you have previously completed space courses, and have worked in the space field, you can take this test to evaluate your level of credit
- If you possess the requisite knowledge, you may be able to “test out” of the Level I course requirement
- Test is taken online via a Microlearning Application (web or mobile device)
- Can be taken when you are ready (you will be given a 7 day window after purchase)
- 50 Question Timed test (Your total test time will be 52.5 minutes)
- Questions are weighted based on the core competency areas above
- Purchase a test
Certified Space Professionals must complete 60 hours of Continuing Education Credits every three years to maintain this certification.
Space 200 (SP200)
Continuous improvements in technology and globalization of services led to the development and proliferation of advanced space systems across commercial, civil, and military sectors. Space capabilities underpin infrastructure and services for commerce, agriculture, humanitarian- and disaster-relief efforts, financial transactions, social networks, and national defense. This course builds upon the principles of orbital mechanics and spacecraft design from Space 100. Graduates of this course will clearly articulate how satellites, payloads, and constellations are designed to provide specific capabilities. Students thoroughly explore scientific concepts behind various space- based asset design, including the use of the Electromagnetic Spectrum in remote sensing, frequency allocation and budgets for satellite communications, and the intricacies of precision navigation and timing. Students will design a payload, spacecraft and its associated systems and sub-systems, and constellation for a specific purpose as well as describe the launch and orbital transfer parameters required to ultimately achieve their design.